Standing in this modern era, we must admit the fact that there are a lot of environmental problems that we are dealing with. However, if we talk about the solutions, they are so close to us that we cannot even see them. If a nation is destroying its soul, it is actually destroying itself. Soil is a valuable resource that contributes to social, economic, and cultural development. Well, what we are trying to say is that composting is a very important act. It basically acts as a sponge, probiotic, and food source for the soil. Fortunately, there is a dedicated event for composting awareness; yes, we are actually talking about National Composting Awareness Week.
This process makes the soil more efficient and fertile; this process supports the complicated ecosystem that makes the soil healthy. Talking about the present situation, people are not actually highlighting this particular topic and as a result, a wide range of environmental problems are occurring.
I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things we could use.Mother Teresa
People in Canada observe the National Composting Awareness Week in the very first week of May. This is undoubtedly one of the most comprehensive and largest educational initiatives regarding the compost industry. It was in 1995 when the National Composting Awareness Week was started in order to promote composting. Well, it grew when many organizations, schools, municipalities, businesses and people recognized the importance of composting. People gradually understand the long-term benefits that organic recycling offers. Talking about the main goal of the National Composting Awareness Week, well, it is to come forward together and raise public awareness on why people should start giving preference to organic recycling and composting. It also encourages people so that they can start using compost.
Significance of National Composting Awareness Week
We have made a brief elaboration of the importance of composting in order to let you realize the significance of the National Composting Awareness Week. During this week, many businesses and people come forward in order to celebrate and encourage composting. From large-scale composting to backyard composting- almost all types of composting are promoted. People take part in various events such as city and state proclamations, visiting with the legislators, compost workshops, school gardening programs and many more. Every year, a specific theme has been selected in order to promote this event. This thing encourages the artists so that they can come up with new content elaborating the importance of compost use and composting.
Here, we have added a few reasons to let you understand why building an awareness program about composting is important.
- If people give importance to organic recycling, the use of landfill space can be reduced.
- Through organic recycling, people can mitigate organic recycling.
- Soil health has a very inextricable connection with organic matter. In order to maintain the biological diversity in soil, you need to do composting. Plants rely on this process as they can turn these materials into nutrients and thus, you will get well-aerated soil.
- Compost basically works as a carbon bank. In other words, we can say that it can store carbon and thus, this thing can mitigate the emission of carbon. Therefore, we can say that it is one of the reliable solutions to climate change mitigation.
Apart from these, there are some other benefits that you need to know.
- Mitigate the need for costly watering.
- Helps in controlling weeds.
- Improves soil drainage and soil aeration.
- Reduce the use of chemical fertilizer as it works as a natural and rich fertilizer.
- Mitigation in garbage volume.
Know About The Problems That You Need To Watch For In This National Composting Awareness Week
When it comes to composting, there are certain problems that you need to watch for. As we are highlighting the National Composting Awareness Week, we have covered these things below:
- If you see that the compost is too wet, you need to add dry materials to it.
- If the pile is not heating up, you can add green materials to the compost. Moreover, you might need to aerate and add water to it.
- If you can smell the presence of ammonia, you can add more brown materials in order to dry it.
There are certain ways through which you can use the finished compost. These are as follows:
- Make a combination of soil and compost in order to improve it.
- Use it for gardening and landscaping.
- You can add compost to the potted plants.
Not A Werbylo User?
So, you have probably realized the significance of the National Composting Awareness Week. Now, there is another thing that can make this week more efficient. Well, we are talking about fundraising. Werbylo is a secure fundraising platform that allows you to start custom fundraising events without paying any monthly fee or hidden fee. The meaning of the platform is “We Rise by Lifting Others. So, join it and make this society a convenient place for everyone.